Usually I do my own oil changes, but this time I hired a "professional" to come down to the boat and change all the fluids; main engine oil and filter, generator and transmission fluids. After the tech completed his work, I suggested we start the engine to check for leaks. He replied, "Not necessary....never had a leak." After he left the boat I started the main engine and went below to inspect for oil leaks -- this is what I found.
After talking to the boss, the tech returned to clean up the mess. What caused the spill? Before installing the new oil filter, the tech failed to remove the old rubber gasket that makes the seal between the filter and the housing. When he installed the new filter he also inserted the new gasket that comes packaged with the filter, unknowingly, he doubled up on rubber gaskets. When I started the engine the oil pressure simply forced motor oil out between the two rubber seals. What a mess!
All cleaned up. (Maybe next time I'll change my own oil ;-)
We're Richard and Gwen (aka, Captain n' Cook) active boaters since moving to Seattle from Los Angeles in the early 90s. In that time we've owned several interesting vessels, but this blog will record our travels on MV Kika, a 2003 Selene 47 Ocean Trawler.